Wednesday 20 April 2011

Shayne's Day #28: The one with the box

Monday was not a terribly exciting day. I have no crazy stories to share or any comical encounters with new British habits or trends. I can, however, assure you that as I tried to book travel arrangements, apply to schools, and get information regarding back-ground checks and National Insurance #'s - the 1.7 ratio still stands!

I have received lots of great information from all of the schools and am looking forward to getting some things squared away as soon as all of these bank holidays are over. The schools here align their spring break with the Easter holiday so they are all off for two weeks and go back on May 3. It seems like as soon as they go back, I will be able to get this sub stuff together. I keep telling myself to enjoy this time, but in the end, I am really ready for snotty hands, messy paint, sand boxes, and tiny pencil stubs with no erasers :)

The good news - Monday night was exciting because our box of Mexican cooking supplies arrived from Arizona - GO MOM!!! Well actually, it arrived earlier last week. If we are being honest about it, it arrived the Monday before we got it. First, there was a problem because 'Flat 1' was written below '24 Almeida St.' instead of the other way around. So, they wouldn't deliver it. Then, I called and they could not find the box in their inventory. I tried 'Shayne Singleton,' 'Jake Singleton,' and 'Shayne and Jake Singleton.' Nothing. Finally, the lady told me that they had one for 'Jake and Shayne Simgleton.' I said, "THAT'S IT!" However, FedEx lady replied with, "Unfortunately, I can't deliver it because I know that's not actually your name!" Of, course, I was not surprised at all! So, Mom had to call to correct it. I called back on Wednesday or Thursday and this time, the lady said that they had no record of the box whatsoever. I got to the point where I kind of assumed a british FedEx employee was sitting in a warehouse eating our Mexican food. So, Saturday, there was a knock at the door. It was our neighbor. She had signed for the box a few days ago! At first, I was just overjoyed. But, then I got to thinking - wait! They wouldn't deliver the 'Simgleton' box to 'Singleton,' but they handed it over to OUR NEIGHBOR! HA!

So, with the box delivered, we started to plan our big Mexican feast for Sunday night. However, when we got off the train on Sunday evening from the football/pub day, all of the grocery stores were closed (that's good to know!). Then, on Monday, I ran (like literally) to the store and got everything we needed. When I went to check out, my debit card wouldn't work. It was like the Mexican food God's were working against us! Finally, Jake went back to the store on his way home (with a different debit card!) and we were able to enjoy our taco feast. It was amazing. We enjoyed tacos, REFRIED BEANS!, rice, sour cream, and even guacamole. You have to get creative here and call for taco seasoning and refried bean reinforcements, but in the end, a Mexican meal can prevail! So, here's to flavorful ground meat, lemony crisp beach beer, and greasy taco shells. Europe - you might have great cheese, but America - you know how to rock a Mexican feast!

Lessons Learned: 1) The grass is always greener on the other side, 2) FedEx might be an American company, but their UK affiliates are definitely british. 3) All jokes aside - London rocks!

No comments:

Post a Comment