Wednesday 6 April 2011

Shayne's Day #16: The one with the stuffed pigeon

Today was a typical day as things start to slow down here and we fall into a normal routine. It's really nice to feel settled. Jake is loving his job so far and has met some great people. I won't steal his stories, but I know he will update his portion of the blog as soon as he has a second. I have continued to scrub down the house and today, did our bedroom. I cleaned blinds, bedding, drawers, our closet, and the floors (sigh!) and unpacked our suitcases. As our boxes haven't arrived yet, I had to get pretty creative about putting stuff away! We have shirts hanging in doorways and clothes drying in the bathtub. I created a game and movie closet using a suitcase (not that we have a TV or DVD player - but, they look cute all organized in our rolling carry on!) - oh London!

Sidenote: We have been in a battle with the moving company for a few days. Our stuff was supposed to arrive on April 2 (that's American time). When WE emailed the company to see what was up, we were informed in a really casual email that our shipment would be more apt to arrive on April 24 with a 7 day holding period for customs (That's British time!). I just broke out in a fit of laughter and of course Jake turned red with anger over this whole thing. Things were just going too smoothly! So, I am seriously hoping it stays cold because we have jeans, boots, and peacoats. There were no "April/May weather clothes" in our suitcases that are some where in the Atlantic. I just HAVE to laugh!!!

At 1:30, I met Margaret for lunch - OH the life of the unemployed! We ate the cutest little place right next door on Upper Street. Amazing tarts, crumpets, and desserts in the windows. It was like a picture! I enjoyed a VEGETABLE TOWER - literally, it said that on the menu - taste bud heaven. We shared so many laughs about this 'British Time' thing that has haunted us as we try to get situated here. Get this - She and her husband Ben were in the bank to open an account because without an account, you can't get a cell phone or a place to live. The banker was sitting at his desk playing on his computer. He says to them, you have to make an appointment. Margaret says, "But, we are here now, Ben took off work." The banker says, "Sorry, come back tomorrow." So, she had to go back the next day to meet with the same banker. LOVE IT! I shared my cell phone whoas - they said I could get a cell phone when we got a bank account and a permanent address - check! I went back and they said you need a UK credit card - check! Went back again and they said I needed a month of credit built up in the UK - can't check that off for another month! It is so nice to have girlfriend here to laugh with. The comedy just continues!

So, last night Jake got home early - a whole new thing to get used to!!!! NOT COMPLAINING!!!! We took a really long walk around our new neighborhood and discovered a park, a new street with some great places, a fabric store!, and a beautiful old church we are going to try on Sunday. We also stumbled on something quite new and different. At first glance, I thought it was a zoo, then I thought maybe a stuffed animal store, then I realized it was a world class taxidermist! Oh my gosh - we were dying. Ok this whole store was COVERED head to toe with stuffed (real!) animals. I am talking not one inch of wall or floor space was available. We stood there for 20 minutes taking it all in. It was like the Where's Waldo of dead animals. We kept noticing new things. Here were some of my favorites: A Shitzu, a shark (like full sized!), a flamingo (this is a true story - stay with me), a freaking ostrich, of course the usual (rabbits, house cats, deer), three zebras (yes, stripes and all) and my personal favorite...a pigeon. Now, here's what I was thinking. Who would spend the money to stuff a flying rat - almost as bad as if someone had spent the money to stuff a panda (you all know how I feel about pandas!) I mean, that had to have been one special pigeon. That pigeon CLEARLY did not come from Clapham (if confused, refer to previous blog).

Lessons Learned: 1) In exchange for fabulous culture, packed pubs at 1 in the afternoon on a Tuesday, and great hours for Jake - the business world moves a little more slowly than in the states! 2) If need be, I can wear turtlenecks, tights and boots in 80 degree weather right?!?

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part? The crumpets. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. HAHA!!! Love it - that one was totally for you!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete