Wednesday 13 April 2011

Shayne's Day #22: The one with Kevin and Dani

What a wonderful day this turned out to be! Drumroll....I started my day with a run! Yes, London-Get Fit-2011 is in action. And by action, I mean a slow running trot while I huff and heave down the street. One day at a time!

After recovering for few minutes, I showered up (Oh, how I love you shower!) and headed out. I stopped at Keston to write out some postcards to my students and went to the post office to mail them. I also got to mail two airplane safety cards to one of my second graders who collects them! So fun :)

After that, I was going to head to the National Portrait Gallery. I walked over to the bus station and on the way, I saw an old aqua colored church spire rising above the buildings. I abandoned my trip to the museum and decided to go find the church (I kind of felt like a dog who gets sidetracked mid-fetch.). What an adventure! I weaved through new streets and stopped in some shops. At one point, two newspaper distributers started yelling at each other. I ducked into the first shop to avoid getting caught in the middle. The place I ducked into was a button store! The whole entire store was just filled with hundreds of beautiful, hand painted buttons. I immediately wanted to start sewing buttons onto all of my clothes or make a button couch or something. I ended up talking myself out of said purchase, but enjoyed the store none-the-less. I continued on and followed the church steeple down a hill and across a crew-rowing river. I discovered a few parks, some new neighborhoods, and bought two shower curtains. Just as I was getting ready to head back, I found the church!

It was St. Joseph's of Highgate. Check out that link and look at the photos! It was, of course, gorgeous. Huge rose windows, fresco's on the ceilings, and a huge cross covered in a purple drape for lent. I was the only one there and it was really a breathtaking moment. I spent some time and headed out. I got a call from Jake letting me know that Kevin and Dani would be over at around 6:30.

Kevin is Jake's best friend from high school and college and Dani is Kev's wife. Dani and I got to live together for a semester in college and Jake and I were SO excited that they were in town. They came over to our flat and we got to catch up, hear about their traveling adventures, and talked about future plans. We ended up at the Angelic (our favorite pub in Angel) and had a wonderful meal. It was the perfect end to the perfect day.

Lessons Learned: 1) Running is really tiring, 2) Don't be afraid to abandon the plan and go hunting for a church steeple.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, The Z's were in town! Bet is was fun to catch up on the other side of the pond.

    Keep the jog, er' running up as the willpower fades with age! Trust me, I know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, day two with people yelling at each other. On this side of the pond, that would be some kind of law suit, harrassment in the work place etc. Kinda nice, just to have a good yell and move on!!! I bet Jake is REALLY glad he doesn't have a button couch, today!!
    HAPPY RUNNING!!!

    ReplyDelete