Tuesday, 31 May 2011
Wednesday, 25 May 2011
Last Tuesday was, from start to finish, a day to remember. It all started two weeks ago when I went to the doctor with a bad chest infection. When I was there, I discovered that, in order to receive free national healthcare, we needed to be registered with our local GP (for those of you lost like I was, that's a General Practitioner). So, I paid out of pocket and the receptionist, Deborah, scheduled me for an appointment to come back and get registered. I wrote down the appointment time for 10AM on the following Tuesday and she gave me an appointment card.
Monday, 23 May 2011
Thursday, 19 May 2011
*No, we did not wear these to roller derby, but they are still in our closet and could have been busted out had we known!
We arrived at the warehouse to find a vacated space with a bar, taped off ring, and about 200 people standing around the taped off area. We welcome you to: The Underground London Roller Derby.....ROOOOCK OOONNNNN!!!!!!
We quickly found Anna, Victor, and Jake P. and claimed our spots around the ring. In the middle, ready to rumble, were the most bad ass chicks we had ever seen! First in the area: Harbour Grudges VS Sufra Jets (WOMEN RULE!!!).
Let us break down the next two hours for you:
* Shayne runs to get a few beers (she knew she would want a couple and didn't want to have to wait in line and miss the action)
* Jake reaches into Shayne's purse to get his pre-mixed Screw Driver in a Fanta bottle (we figured underground warehouse + sneak in your own alcohol = underground awesomeness!)
* Eyes get huge as we take in the women (tough, athletic, wearing skimpy little uniforms, tats everywhere, hair tussled, war paint all over - it was pretty hot (we BOTH agreed!)
* Eyes get 'huger' as we watch these women shove off the starting block with crazy, daring speed
* Eyes get 'hugest' as watch these women shove each other over, face first, onto the cement
* Eyes get covered as first girl gets seriously hurt
* We scramble to learn the rules: Pivot leads pack, Jammer passes pack, Jammer scores points
* Shayne decides her team is the Sufra Jets (bad ass chicks, turquoise as a team color, team captain's name is Grievous Bodily Charm - she is SET!)
* Shayne decides she is going to try out and join a team
* Jake is screaming at the top of his lungs and jumping up and down
* Sufra Jets lose, Shayne cries, Shayne buys a Sufra Jet's T-shirt (Jake P. suggested she buy a generic London Rollergirls shirt, Shayne compares this to buying a shirt for the NFL - COPOUT!)
* Jake P. gets the hots for Kamikaze Kitten: Jammer for the Femmes
* We scream, we yell, we jump, we high five
* Ultraviolent Femmes lose, Jake P. cries
* Jake P. gets a photo with Kamikaze - he is STOKED!
* We agree we are going to the finals match in a few weeks
* We end up at London Rollergirls after party
This night was amazing! And yes, ended up at the after party with all of the teams and coaches. We spent a few hours watching video highlights from the OUTRAGEOUS season and trying to get up the courage to actually talk with one of these BAD ASS CHICKS! None of us actually did, but we all agreed that NEXT TIME....WE TOTALLY WOULD! When we weren't encouraging each other to talk to Katy Peril, Ninjette, or Spooky Von Strange, we were trying to come up with Shayne's Rollergirl name for next season. We haven't come up with one yet, but if you can think of a RAD one, let us know!
So there you have it - ROOOLLLLEEEERRR DDEEEERRRBBBYYYY!!!!!!! It was huge, it was awesome, and WE WILL BE BACK!!!! We would like you to end on this video clip! If you weren't pumped before, strap on your seat belt, cause this video ROCKS!
Lesson Learned: RLR DRBY 4 EVA!
* Kamikaze Kitten is hugging Jake P. in the distance! This is a very happy moment for him. You can see her in the neon green :)
Jake P., Jake, Anna, Victor, and Shayne (We are all wishing we were tough enough to strap on some skates!)
* The roller girl cheerios performing between bouts...AAAAAMAZING!
Wednesday, 18 May 2011
Monday, 16 May 2011
1. British vs. American accents: This is the most mild of all the lingual differences. This category comprises words that merely 'sound' british, but the word itself is the same. Think of this as the "Harry Potter" difference. When watching a Potter movie, you understand everything that is said, but you know that the person saying it is from the UK.
2. Local letter pronunciation: The words in this category are pronounced in such a way as a result of their local origin and how letters in that language are pronounced differently. For example, in Spanish (like, Spain Spanish), the 'C,' 'Z,' 'S' sound is pronounced as a, 'TH.' This makes words like Barcelona sound like Barthelona or cerveza sound like cervetha. As this is lingual variation, one can completely understand how said pronunciation came to pass. We will be coming back to category two later in the blog.
3. What the hell? : This category is as it sounds. There are some words here in the UK that seem to have no logical basis in the way they are pronounced. Letters are added, ignored, and moved around, and then we find ourselves being corrected. Here are some shining examples of the 'What the hell?' category:
* Derby being pronounced darby
* Aluminum to alumenium
* Bourough to Burra
* Retard to Ratard (ok, ok, this one was American, but TOTALLY worth mentioning)
This is the category that has forced us to ask ourselves, "Is that man actually speaking English?"
So, let's travel back to category #2 - 'Local letter pronunciation.' The comedy of this category began almost immediately upon our arrival. As Jake Plumer planned his trip to Ibiza, the island off the coast of Spain, George (our resident British local) got the biggest kick out of correcting his pronunciation. Apparently, Ibiza is pronounced Ibitha! So, this became quite the joke and a source of fabulous comedy. When Jake was on is trip, you can imagine our laughter when we got a text saying, "Ibitha ith awethome!"
The mid-word 'th' sound comedy continued when Margaret went on an interview for an artist management company. The man who owns the company and interviewed her is named Athole. That's right folks, Athole! If you aren't laughing yet, say his name outloud.....oh, yes - there it is - incessant giggling. No, this is not a local letter pronunciation for someone named Azole (which, technically speaking, isn't much better). To further fuel our fire, Athole sat through the entire interview with blood dripping down his cheek. We will let you know whether or not Margaret accepts the position working for the bloody Athole.
On Friday night, we went to Bodean's BBQ for dinner with George, Sophie, Carly, Mike, Jake P., and Permeet. The food was delicious and the night was great! We went out for a few drinks afterwards and ended up back at Carly and Mike's house. As most of you know, our favorite card game is Asshole and we played it all the time in college and in San Diego (little shout out there to the SDSC!). Mike, Carly, and Jake P. also love the game, so it was decided to teach Sophie and George. We found it ironic that we were teaching ATHOLE to the guy who originally coined IBITHA! Trying to decide the rules to this game was almost as confusing as trying to have a conversation with a "what the hell" category speaker! It was amazing. ALL of us seemed to have different versions of Athole....that's what she said. This might be the most 'out of our element' we have felt since arriving here! Different food we expected, different accents we expected, but THIS...THIS was unheard of! We were forced to have to overcome adversity and accept change head-on :) There was, however, one new rule that we must admit was kind of cool (in an effort not to bore our readers who don't play the game -SDSC, we will teach you in November!). The night was a true success and, being that we didn't get home until 5AM, it's safe to say we had a great time.
Lethon Learned: If you can't underthand thomeone in the UK, jutht have them write down what they want to thay! Ith's eathier that way.
|Jake, Jake, Pramit (we've been spelling it wrong up until now), and Mike outside of Bodean's BBQ - YUM!|
|Sophie, Shayne, and Carly inside of pub #1|
|Jake P, Jake, George, Sophie, Pramit, Carly, and Mike playing games.|
|The Jake's start to get ridiculous!|
|See previous caption.|
|Shayne SOLVED a rubik's cube from Prague.|
|Coming home at 5AM - you can't see it, but the sun is starting to rise behind us. Amazing!|