Saturday 16 April 2011

Shayne's Day #24: The one with the supply teaching luncheon

OK - I attempted to add our first photo here. It doesn't quite go with this post, but I have to start somewhere! This is a photo of us with Ben and Margaret on our first night out. Notice how Margaret and I are sharing a martini - comically, they put hers in a wine glass! Love it :)
Today was the day I have been waiting for. Lunch with Erin! She has been so kind and offered to get me set up with all of the information I need for teaching before she and her husband head back to the states. So, quick run in the morning (and by quick, I don't mean my speed!) and out the door to Notting Hill. When you look at a map, Notting Hill doesn't seem very far from the city center, but each time I go out there, I am reminded that it takes a good 40 minutes on the tube. So, I left early with plenty of time and, sure enough, arrived right at 1:00 when I needed to be there.

We ate at Tom's Cafe, the cutest little lunch place I have ever seen. Erin and I shared stories and laughed! It isn't everyday you meet another BFA-art teacher-with an accountant husband. Kind of ironic right? My favorite moment was when we discussed the use of glitter in the classroom. We laughed about how you end up with glitter in your scalp, your purse, your eye, and even your kitchen at home. We also confessed that, as elementary art teachers, we only let kids use glitter once before learning our lesson. It always made me feel like less of an art teacher when I lied to the kids and said, "Sorry, I don't have any." It was nice to know there was someone else who cried wolf a few times too!

I picked her brain about where to even begin getting this supply teaching thing started and she shared with me the in's and out's of the trade. OH - sidenote: supply teaching is what they call substitute teaching here. I am not going to look for a full time teaching job while we're here. I want to see as many schools and I can and, let's be honest, I want to have the days off to travel with Jake and take time when you all come to visit!
OK - (Kristyn, Kelly, Jess, Michelle, Alison and any of the Sage crew reading - this is going to blow your mind)

List of Top 10 Supply Teaching Stories and Bits of Information
10. 1 out of every 20 teachers leaves a lesson plan for their sub. So, basically, you have to show up each day with 8 hours worth of curriculum for the correct grade level.
9. Schools in London don't have text books - NONE! So, as a sub, there is no such thing as, "Turn to page 267 and let's read." AKA - Let me get a feel for what you are even learning right now.
8. Sometimes you are aren't subbing in one classroom. You will show up in the morning and they might inform you that you are going to be the PE sub for 10 different classes. Sweet. I loved PE as a kid, even more as a teacher (I realize that it's hard to get a feel for sarcasm in someone's writing - but, know that it's there).
7. They call you by your first name.
6. One time, Erin had a bucket of water thrown on her head in a school stairwell.
5. One time, Erin had a bucket of sharpened pencils thrown in her face.
4. One time, Erin wrote up the kids who did these things to her and was told, "Stop writing kids up, we don't have room in detention."
3. One time, Erin was subbing as a classroom aide and she witnessed a 6th grade teacher give a lesson about the word: it's. He taught that "it's" shows possession.
2. One time, Erin was subbing as a reading group leader. She was in the room when the teacher asked her to come up to the front and hold a globe. So, Erin goes up and stands there with the globe. The teacher proceeded to hold a yellow ball (the sun) and ROTATE AROUND Erin. Yes, I did teach 5th grade science this past year, but I don't think it takes a science teacher to realize it should have been Erin who was on the move - not the one holding the sun!
1. The kids have to change for PE...in the classroom...boys and girls together....until they are in 7th grade.
So, this gives you a glimpse into the exciting blogs you will get to read about in the future - get excited! I feel so lucky to have had Erin here to share this stuff with me. It would have been a rude awakening to walk in the first day unprepared. THANKS ERIN!!!

After lunch, I sprinted to the tube and called my mom on the way. I had a skype date with Kristyn and KNEW I was going to be late. She emailed Kristyn to let her know I going to pull a 'Classic Singleton' and be late once again. The tube felt like it took 9 hours (you know how that is...you need to be somewhere and time stands still). I ran home when the tube FINALLY arrived, flew through the door and was STILL able to have my first skype date with Kristyn (even though it was an hour late!) - YAY! There is nothing like seeing an old friend :)

We had dinner plans with Kevin and Dani. So, we all met up at the Libertine for a pint and headed over to Master Super Fish - A MUST for anyone visiting the Singleton household.
It was sad to have to say goodbye, but it was AMAZING to have visitors so early in our trip!

Lesson's Learned: Refer to top 10 list above.



2 comments:

  1. Just to confirm...True story about Shayne's dislike for PE, you know it never fell at an appropriate time within the school day schedule for girls. How can one spend so much time getting ready for school only to go and underdress and sweat and be expected to go back to class...REALLY NECESSARY!!! Actually one year in middle school Shayne had it as 1st period!! What do you think she about that..OK, Mama Kim called and got it changed to last period of day!! You gotta look out for your kiddo!!! Sounds like the education system in London is going to be a true "Learning" experience for Mrs. Singleton.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 made me cringe!

    ReplyDelete