*No, we did not wear these to roller derby, but they are still in our closet and could have been busted out had we known!
We arrived at the warehouse to find a vacated space with a bar, taped off ring, and about 200 people standing around the taped off area. We welcome you to: The Underground London Roller Derby.....ROOOOCK OOONNNNN!!!!!!
We quickly found Anna, Victor, and Jake P. and claimed our spots around the ring. In the middle, ready to rumble, were the most bad ass chicks we had ever seen! First in the area: Harbour Grudges VS Sufra Jets (WOMEN RULE!!!).
Let us break down the next two hours for you:
* Shayne runs to get a few beers (she knew she would want a couple and didn't want to have to wait in line and miss the action)
* Jake reaches into Shayne's purse to get his pre-mixed Screw Driver in a Fanta bottle (we figured underground warehouse + sneak in your own alcohol = underground awesomeness!)
* Eyes get huge as we take in the women (tough, athletic, wearing skimpy little uniforms, tats everywhere, hair tussled, war paint all over - it was pretty hot (we BOTH agreed!)
* Eyes get 'huger' as we watch these women shove off the starting block with crazy, daring speed
* Eyes get 'hugest' as watch these women shove each other over, face first, onto the cement
* Eyes get covered as first girl gets seriously hurt
* We scramble to learn the rules: Pivot leads pack, Jammer passes pack, Jammer scores points
* Shayne decides her team is the Sufra Jets (bad ass chicks, turquoise as a team color, team captain's name is Grievous Bodily Charm - she is SET!)
* Shayne decides she is going to try out and join a team
* Jake is screaming at the top of his lungs and jumping up and down
* Sufra Jets lose, Shayne cries, Shayne buys a Sufra Jet's T-shirt (Jake P. suggested she buy a generic London Rollergirls shirt, Shayne compares this to buying a shirt for the NFL - COPOUT!)
* Jake P. gets the hots for Kamikaze Kitten: Jammer for the Femmes
* We scream, we yell, we jump, we high five
* Ultraviolent Femmes lose, Jake P. cries
* Jake P. gets a photo with Kamikaze - he is STOKED!
* We agree we are going to the finals match in a few weeks
* We end up at London Rollergirls after party
This night was amazing! And yes, ended up at the after party with all of the teams and coaches. We spent a few hours watching video highlights from the OUTRAGEOUS season and trying to get up the courage to actually talk with one of these BAD ASS CHICKS! None of us actually did, but we all agreed that NEXT TIME....WE TOTALLY WOULD! When we weren't encouraging each other to talk to Katy Peril, Ninjette, or Spooky Von Strange, we were trying to come up with Shayne's Rollergirl name for next season. We haven't come up with one yet, but if you can think of a RAD one, let us know!
So there you have it - ROOOLLLLEEEERRR DDEEEERRRBBBYYYY!!!!!!! It was huge, it was awesome, and WE WILL BE BACK!!!! We would like you to end on this video clip! If you weren't pumped before, strap on your seat belt, cause this video ROCKS!
Lesson Learned: RLR DRBY 4 EVA!
* Kamikaze Kitten is hugging Jake P. in the distance! This is a very happy moment for him. You can see her in the neon green :)
Jake P., Jake, Anna, Victor, and Shayne (We are all wishing we were tough enough to strap on some skates!)
* The roller girl cheerios performing between bouts...AAAAAMAZING!